mercredi, juillet 02, 2014

I was bullied by BBC over academic report on indyref bias – the Scottish media blackout must end

Fortress BBC Scotland - Pacific Quay, Glasgow.
Professor John Robertson, 
I was bullied by BBC over academic report on indyref bias – the Scottish media blackout must end
by Prof. John Robertson (30 June 2014)

Following a demonstration outside BBC Scotland's Glasgow headquarters this weekend, Professor John Robertson, media politics professor at the University of the West of Scotland and author of an academic study that claimed Scottish news broadcasts leaned more favourably towards the No campaign on Scottish independence, recounts the aftermath of his report and the implications for Scottish democracy.

When I published academic research at the beginning of the year examining the impartiality of broadcast news reporting ahead of the Scottish independence referendum, I didn’t expect one of the subjects of my report – BBC Scotland, no less – to take such a strong reaction to the findings..

Senior BBC figures reported me to senior staff at my university and colleagues of mine were even warned to ‘stay away’ from me. I see this as a clear form of bullying by a powerful corporation. The great crime I’d committed was in publishing the results of a study which indicated that BBC Scotland’s coverage of the Scottish independence referendum between September 2012 and September 2013 noticeably favoured the No campaign.
Read full article HERE

_________________________
AUDIO interview 
with Prof John Robertson
HERE
__________________________